Monument of the 1956 Revolution

The hungarian revolution, known also as Hungarian uprising, was an anti-soviet revolt that lasted from the 23 October 1956 to the 11 November 1956. The insurrection was repressed by the soviet tanks and opposed by the ÁVH (State Security Police). Died about 2.600 hungarian from both the sides (pro-against the revolution). The injured were approximately 20.000 and about 250.000 hungarian left from their country. The revolution started on the 23 October 1956 when about 20.000 students met next to the statue of Józef Bem. Here the president of the Writer’s Union, Péter Veres, red a manifesto to the crowd and the crowd started to sing the National poem that was censored: "This we swear, this we swear, that we will no longer be slaves." and one of them cut out of the Hungarian flag the communist emblem. After those facts most of the people cross the Danube to join the pacific demonstration in front of the Parliament where more than 200.000 people came together. In the evening a radio speech of the First Secretary Ernő gerő broadcast the condemnation of the writers and students. That night some protesters decided to pull to pieces the Stalin statue that was located on the edge of the City park (Városliget).In the meanwhile a large people met in front the building of Radio Budapest, guarded by the ÁVH and some rumors about the shooting of some demonstrates begun to spread. Tear gases were thrown out of the windows of the radio building and the ÁVH started to shoot on the people. During that night, the Hungarian Working People's Party Secretary Ernő Gerő demanded the Soviet military intervention to ease the situation and on the 24 the Soviet tanks came in Budapest.

That day, András Hegedüs was replaced by Imre Nagy as Prime Minister.The day after a crowd of protesters gathered in Parliament Square, there the ÁVH soldiers begun fire to the people from the rooftop of the close buildings and the Soviet tanks fired back wrongly believing that they were the targets of the shooting. On the 28 of October, the prime minister Nagy, negotiated with the Soviet a cease-fire, he announced on the radio the truce on behalf of the new national government and declared that the government would assess the uprising not as counter revolutionary but as a "great, national and democratic event". On the 1 November Nagy declared the neutrality of hungary and he request the overcome from the Warsaw pact. Those requests had not been accepted by the URSS and Nagy was replaced by János Kádár, then imprisoned and shooted in 1958. On the 4 of November 15 soviet divisions that entered in Hungary with 6.000 panzers. For some days, the street of Budapest became bloody by harsh fights. In the Pest district many buildings still carry the holes of the grenades. After this uprising Hungary lined up with the soviet framework until the fall of the Berlin Wall. Certainly this was the biggest tragedy of the nation, one historical event that upset the entire world, making waver the communist dictatorship inciting the hungarians one against the other. To remember this tragedy in the City park there is the Monument of the Revolution of 1956, also known as the Monument to the uprising. It recalls the goings-on of the revolts of Hungarians against the soviet occupation in 1956. The shape of the memorial is a wedge with a 56 degree angle. The rusty iron gradually becomes shiny ending in a intersection to symbolise the hungarian forces that together carve the Communist dictatorship.The monument was erected at the 50 years of the revolt anniversary in 2006.